Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Branching and/or Parallel Progression Paths

Quasitonality

Local Viking
Reaction score
Valheim's linear progression design sets it apart from other explore/gather/build centered games, but I think it also keeps it from enjoying the same lasting interest or replayability (continue-playability?) that many games in that genre tend to have.

The armor progression in the game mirrors general progression (and enforces it), and I think could provide a good metaphor for understanding the issue and improving it. When I first gained access to bronze armor, I found myself with an interesting choice - do I wear bronze, with its greater protection value, or troll, with its greater stealth and mobility? But when I gained Iron armor, the choice disappeared; Troll armor no longer provided enough protection against to justify choosing it over iron, and I became a little disappointed when I realized that there weren't going to be any more meaningful (or at least practical) choices I could make going forward about my character's garb - only upgrades, one after another in a predetermined order. This sort of clashes with the fundamental attraction of any explore/gather/build game, being the choices you get to make about where you're gonna go, what you want to get, and what you want to build. There's only one new place open for exploration, and you need to go there to gather the resources you need to defeat the boss and unlock the next one. Essentially, you end up with what looks like an open world but feels more like a guided tour, and a game with the core mechanics of an explore/gather/builder but without the full experience of one.

I think there's a simple solution that would help enable that experience without losing the things that make Valheim unique. Okay maybe it's only simple in principle but it's simple to explain at least - instead of a one-dimensional linear progression, use a branching one. Biomes that you could go to but don't have to. Bosses that give rewards that are useful but not essential. Multiple possible progression paths that might converge on the same top-tier endgame content, or go off in entirely separate directions. There are endless possible ways of doing it, and if done right, it could give players the feeling of endless possibilities as well.

you know,
Ships on vigor of the waves are skimming
Barren summits to the verdant plains
Each horizon is a new beginning
Rise and reign
and all that