Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Cooking ... Coal:

AetherArcher

New Viking
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to find out how to successfully cook meat. I am able to hunt the raw meat, and [E] on the cooking station (over the fire) but no cooked meat ever appears ... and when I [E] again all I get is coal.

How do you cook raw meat?

Thx,
A.

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
You're doing it right, but have to take it off sooner - boar/neck/deer meat will cook in about 20 seconds. You'll hear a sizzle and see it change color to brown when its ready. If you leave it on much longer it turns to coal. (Fancy meat like Lox or Serpent takes longer as well)

AetherArcher

New Viking
Reaction score
Soz, just got a ping that this reply was waiting for me ... thanks.

I'm "deep" into the game now, and finally worked it out in the end. However, my "mistake" has given me the chance to dump all that spare deer meat to make coal very cheaply.

Cheers,
A.

Wiccidlady

Local Viking
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to find out how to successfully cook meat. I am able to hunt the raw meat, and [E] on the cooking station (over the fire) but no cooked meat ever appears ... and when I [E] again all I get is coal.

How do you cook raw meat?

Thx,
A.
It's a waiting game. And a listening game. You have to wait for the "steam" sound to let you know they are done, and then you have to pull them off before they become non edible. It's like 3 phases, first put on, they start to smoke a bit, then you'll hear the hissing steam sound. Grab them right after that.

Wiccidlady

Local Viking
Reaction score
Soz, just got a ping that this reply was waiting for me ... thanks.

I'm "deep" into the game now, and finally worked it out in the end. However, my "mistake" has given me the chance to dump all that spare deer meat to make coal very cheaply.

Cheers,
A.
I didn't realize you could get coal this way! Now I know :)