Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Improve the Swimming Skill

KestralB

New Viking
Reaction score
I believe the swim skill currently only reduces stamina use by 0.4% per level, for a 40% stamina use reduction at level 100.
That means level 1 and level 100 swimmers move at the same speed, and the distance a level 100 swimmer can go before they begin drowning is 1.66x the distance a level 1 swimmer can go. This doesn't seem like a great reward for a skill that takes so long to level up, nor very realistic.

Suggestion: For now, just make swim skill also increase swimming speed by 1% per level. Boost the stamina reduction from 0.4% to 0.6% per level. Now an expert swimmer can go 2x as fast and 5x as far as a novice. Just an easy numbers rebalance to make the skill more noticeable. (optionally, you could boost the skill effect even further if you compensate by making new swimmers worse)

I mean, I know several versions down the line you'll probably completely rework swimming, add swim-sprint and diving animations, a separate diving skill, put harvestable shellfish or other resources at the bottom of shallow bays, etc, etc. :)

But just tweaking a number or two could improve the balance/realism of the game right now without the need for new content!

Kosmo1234

New Viking
Reaction score
I agree with this. I didn’t realize just how underwhelming the level ups are. Now, I need to see if they are all a waste of time.

KestralB

New Viking
Reaction score
Hearth and Home coming out soon...perfect chance to tweak a number or two. :)