Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Passive Fish Traps

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
Passive fish traps.
For balance's sake, you'd use 5 finewood and 2 bait, with the bait being immediately consumed and the trap getting 1/10 bait.

Essentially it would work just like a campfire in functionality.
Campfires are 5 stone and 2 wood, but the moment you place it the wood is consumed and you get 1/10 wood burning for fuel.
The wood you place in the fire can't be reclaimed, nor can the 2 wood used to start it.
The passive fish trap would be identical in function, but swap stone for finewood, and wood for bait.
It would also have to be submerged (ideally, somewhere with fish if you want it to work) in order to place it.

Each bait is consumed per fish it catches.
Max fish capacity of 10 (akin to how bee hives have a max of 4 honey).

Napalm Eddie

Local Viking
Reaction score
That's a great idea! It could have a radius so it uses up all the fish in the area so eventually you have to move the trap. Wouldn't want it to be TOO easy since meat isn't a big challenge to come by.

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
That's a great idea! It could have a radius so it uses up all the fish in the area so eventually you have to move the trap. Wouldn't want it to be TOO easy since meat isn't a big challenge to come by.
Well, by the time you would have access to the bait and finewood, you'll already have access to regular meat, carrot soup, and either jelly or neck tail (at the minimum).
Most likely, you'll already be making sausage though.

So fish would mostly just be for eating along with honey as a "i need cheap health and stamina foods" for construction projects.
That is, until you're making fish wraps, which are endgame food.

There's no need to over-complicate it with adding dynamic population mechanics.
Simply having a slow catch speed (say, 2-3 fish a day per trap, and double that during rain/storm weather) is more than enough to balance effort, cost, and yield.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love this idea as well! Expanding on the fishing and creatures/monsters in the water will make Valheim so much more exciting!

Caswallon

Local Viking
Reaction score
Excellent idea. The fishing rod is kinda fun if a tad trickey to master (for me at least!) Maybe at some point the "trap" could provide a basic fish and the rod and line method ocasionally drop a "super fish" of some kind to reward the added time and effort it would take over a passive method?

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
Agree - fish seem like they should be a core mid-game food (especially for Vikings, yo!), but fishing has a fairly ... lets say, limited playstyle. Fishing by rod should be have higher upside for people who can put the time in, but I would definitely support an alternate method that trades longer in-game and a lower yield for more passive method.

Also - you should be able to craft a fishing rod from Fine Wood & Linen Thread if you get to that point in the game before finding a vendor. Craft bait from Neck Tails. Vendor easier, crafting less geographically limited.

sstella

Local Viking
Reaction score
Id like to shamelessly promote my earlier suggestions; 1) Lobster Cages, and 2) Pulling fishing nets behind boats.

A static fish only trap sounds good!

sstella

Local Viking
Reaction score
Omg yes. I need a lobster vs wolf-cub battle arena as soon as possible
I didnt anticipate crustaceans (lobsters, crabs) caught in traps to be actual mobs, or behave like fish as entity-items. Really more like just spawned objects in special trap containers are given periods of time, which can be increased by placing raw meat bait in crustacean cage traps - different from fish traps which would probably be placed exclusively in shallower water, compared to my idea for a crustacean cage which must be "raised" and "lowered" to the sea floor while interacting from a boat.

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
sstella - Your version sounds infinitely more reasonable and practical. But pointless digital lobster combat would make my life objectively better, y'know, somehow. So I'm in favor.

sstella

Local Viking
Reaction score
sstella - Your version sounds infinitely more reasonable and practical. But pointless digital lobster combat would make my life objectively better, y'know, somehow. So I'm in favor.
Dont be discouraged! Im sure a giant lobster mob or a lobster boss would be pretty fun!

Pelehiko

New Viking
Reaction score
Passive fish traps.
For balance's sake, you'd use 5 finewood and 2 bait, with the bait being immediately consumed and the trap getting 1/10 bait.

Essentially it would work just like a campfire in functionality.
Campfires are 5 stone and 2 wood, but the moment you place it the wood is consumed and you get 1/10 wood burning for fuel.
The wood you place in the fire can't be reclaimed, nor can the 2 wood used to start it.
The passive fish trap would be identical in function, but swap stone for finewood, and wood for bait.
It would also have to be submerged (ideally, somewhere with fish if you want it to work) in order to place it.

Each bait is consumed per fish it catches.
Max fish capacity of 10 (akin to how bee hives have a max of 4 honey).
I didn't need to read further than "passive fish traps". Nuff said. Great idea.