Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Cartography Table

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
This is an old suggestion that reappears a few times a week, every week (in some form or another) on the official discord suggestion thread.

A cartography station that allows players to combine their map exploration data.

IE, if guy 1 goes exploring to the west, and guy 2 goes exploring to the east, then they both come back home and interact with the cartography station at their base, they both deposit a copy of their map data and get the map info from each other.

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
I love the idea, and want some version of this. I'd be hesitant to make it too easy though, since exploration is such a huge part of the game. It shouldn't be automatic to always share the map with everybody - it should be an interesting choice what you share, not just an always-done thoughtless action that you would always do and is dumb to pass up. I think the Cartography station could be an excellent way to do that:

It could craft consumable map items, to share particular areas with specific people. The game already seems to use a lot of center-point & radius calculations, so I'm guessing that'd be easiest to implement. I can think of a few basic item-variations - small/large/full map, reveal only or reveal and markup.

The workflow might be something like:
Open cartography table
Select specific map item to craft, click craft
Map opens, click map to establish center point of shared map, click Craft/done/new button to complete, map is created.
Map item contains centerpoint based of world x/y coords. When used, would copy the revealed-map-mask from creators map to the consumers map to reveal the same area when they use the item.

Small circle, map reveal layer only. 250m from center point. 5 Deer Hide, 1 Iron Nail, 1 Fine wood, 1 Feather (materials based off iron-gall ink & quill pens)
Large circle, map reveal layer only. 1000m from center, 20 Deer Hide, 5 iron nails, 3 Fine Wood, 3 Feathers.

Small circle, map reveal layer and comment/markup layer, 250m radius. 5 Deer Hide, 1 Iron Nail, 1 Fine wood
Large circle, map reveal layer and comment/markup layer, 1000m radius. 20 Deer Hide, 5 iron nails, 3 Fine Wood, 3 Feathers.

Whole map, map reveal layer only. 100 Deer Hide, 3 Iron bars, 15 Fine Wood, 15 Feathers.
Whole map, reveal & comment layer. 100 Deer Hide, 3 Iron bars, 15 Fine Wood, 15 Feathers.

Leopold

New Viking
Reaction score
This is an old suggestion that reappears a few times a week, every week (in some form or another) on the official discord suggestion thread.

A cartography station that allows players to combine their map exploration data.

IE, if guy 1 goes exploring to the west, and guy 2 goes exploring to the east, then they both come back home and interact with the cartography station at their base, they both deposit a copy of their map data and get the map info from each other.
This is exactly what my group had concluded also after dealing with the frustrations of trying to describe and account for different level of exploration in the same world. This map table or 'cartography station', in whatever form, is badly needed imho, and the Nexus mod that allows for some map transferring of data is about the only mod that tempted me because of the annoyances of this issue.