Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Character dead after internet loss, no death marker or loot box

onecool

New Viking
Reaction score
Like the title says - I was playing in a Valheim server (not locally hosted) with a friend. I was in a house next to a portal, and that's when I had a power outage and my internet and computer went off immediately.

I logged back in this morning, my character was naked, and there are no recent death markers. I've looked all around and there is no lootbox, and I checked the locations of all my recent death markers and there is no lootbox that spawned there either.

It appears everything I had on me has disappeared..? Is this a known issue?

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
Yes. Sort of, anyway.

The game doesn't handle inventory well with sudden-death exits from a non-local server hosted game, like your power failure or a computer lockup. Had you recently died and reclaimed your items from your corpse when the power went out?

I don't think theres a way to undo it, but it's easy to get new copies of your items back which is basically the same thing. I recommend loading up a local single player world and using the console commands to magically spawn the materials for your lost items and recreate them at a workshop/forge/etc.

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
It happened to me a lot last year before I was able to replace my video card. For anyone having crashing problems, it's easy to safeguard items after an inventory transfer - just quickly log out and back in to save your inventory.

Here's the pattern I saw. The items entering/leaving world containers are saved when they move - take items out of a chest, the world file is updated on the server end and backed up to disk every few minutes. Your character gets custody of those items immediately, but the inventory isn't saved to disk in your game client until sometime later. If you crash in-between, your character is loaded from a backup at a point when you were naked/had different inventory. The world doesn't have them any more because it correctly saved that you took the items from your corpse, but your game client didn't correctly save taking them back.

(in reverse, if you crash right after putting all your items into a chest it's possible to log back in with full inventory from the backup and all the items duplicated in the chest as well).