Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Combat Adjustment Suggestions

Taurus Daggerknight

Local Viking
Reaction score
As with many here, Valheim has absolutely enthralled my friends and I over the last week, and certainly looks to be one of those games that will likely stay with us a good long while.

With that said, there are two major issues we generally agreed on; the camera, and combat.

The camera issues come down to it just not being suitable for closed in spaces or busy environments, like a thick forest or the crypts. Without any camera clipping, it's too easy for things to block your view, and not in a "this is intentional" sort of way. This directly feeds into the already clunky feel of combat, where under many circumstances you can't really see what your foe in front of you is doing.

I can't claim to have a perfect solution that doesn't completely change the game in mind, but I did think of the following. I am aware that there are mods out there that might be trying to address these points, but I'm only concerned with what the base game ultimately offers, not third party hacks and tweaks.

1) Official First Person Mode: The way combat is currently structured, I really feel like having a first person camera would improve the players ability to fight, without needing a massive change to how combat works in general. It would in theory let you actually see what's in front of you, be it in a crypt or in a thick forest.

2) Camera Clipping: Harder to implement at this stage I reckon, but letting the camera clip through certain obstructions - ala most isometric RPG's- could potentially improve the flow of a fight by, again, letting you see what's happening. I don't know that this would have as dramatic an impact as a proper FP mode, but it's worked in a lot of other titles, so there's that.

3) Better visual cues for range: A big hurdle right now is that it's really hard to tell when something is in striking range. I've had so many instances of swinging my sword because I thought something looked close enough, only to realize nope, it was out of reach. Which is made worse by the feeling that it was somehow in reach of me (speaking of dwarves here btw, not something with proper weapons). If we had something like a "highlight target in crosshairs when in striking range", it could help a ton. Maybe make it so that enemies out of range are highlighted in a blue outline, and in range are green or some such.

4) Ability to Cancel Attacks: Feinting, if you will. It's a bit of a downer that, in addition to the range indication issue, we can't "cancel" an ill timed strike, and are essentially struck with our mistake while being wailed on/ not being able to pull back. Had the camera issue and range troubles not been present, this might be okay on its own, but with both of them being the case, it's a bit on the frustrating side to be so stuck. Being able to cancel a swing midway would help deal with some of those limitations.

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
One thing that would REALLY help would be have the camera render things like tree leaves and other non-solid geometry partially transparent when the tree/object is between you and the camera.
That way, all you'd have blocking your view would be things like tree trunks, rather than the entire tree foliage.