Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Easy starter question about workbenches

Wolf Sweetleaf

New Viking
Reaction score
So I have tried playing this game 4 times so far, looks very cool, but workbenches don't function? I just finished building three that wouldn't work in structures already in the game, so I made an entire house for the workshop and im getting the message, that its too exposed. Ok so 4 walls and a roof and a door is too exposed? I have seen guides where people use Hoes to level ground so I am assuming my walls are not flat on the ground and thats why it wont work? I see the hoe comes from the workshop though and mine wont craft anything, I just get this exposed message. Is this just a glitch? I have started and deleted four games trying to get this basic feature to work, any ideas?

RespectTheFungi

New Viking
Reaction score
So I have tried playing this game 4 times so far, looks very cool, but workbenches don't function? I just finished building three that wouldn't work in structures already in the game, so I made an entire house for the workshop and im getting the message, that its too exposed. Ok so 4 walls and a roof and a door is too exposed? I have seen guides where people use Hoes to level ground so I am assuming my walls are not flat on the ground and thats why it wont work? I see the hoe comes from the workshop though and mine wont craft anything, I just get this exposed message. Is this just a glitch? I have started and deleted four games trying to get this basic feature to work, any ideas?
I know this is an old thread, but it looks like noone has tried to help, so here goes.
Without a picture or a video it is hard to know exactly what is wrong, but it does sound strange.
Anyway. I have three ideas for you:
1) Have you tried to put a floor in the house?
2) Have you made sure the walls and roof are without gaps? (I have had the same issue a few times and basically just took down a few components away and placed them slightly more precisely...weird because other times I had much bigger gaps and no issues)
3) Make sure the workbench has a small gap between it and the wall, so it doesn't register as even the slightest on the outside of the wall

Hope this helps :)