Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

My Ideas for Valheim: Hearth & Home Foods, Cooking, Crafting, Farming

sstella

Local Viking
Reaction score
This will be a lot shorter then my last post. Here is the gist:

1) The ability to use fine wood, bronze nails, chain, resin, and core wood to construct a Wooden Lobster Pot - this is an object placed in Ocean Biomes. It has two states. "Fishing" and "Floating." In the "Fishing" state, only a single core wood log with a chain around it is visible on the surface on the water. Players may interact with the Lobster pot in the "Fishing" state to reel in the Lobster Pot and convert it to the "Floating" state to check its contents. Players can increase their lobster catches by adding food as bait. If players do not collect from their lobster pot frequently enough the cage can break, losing materials, bait, and caught lobsters

2) The ability to use iron bars, nails, chain, and core wood to construct an Iron Lobster Pot - very similar to wooden lobster pot, only aesthetically resembles an iron metal cage, can store far more lobsters and bait, and best of all, never breaks from catching too many lobsters.

Perhaps other crustaceans may be found as well, depending on biomes? There may be standard "crabs" found and caught commonly. Highly sought after "lobsters" which offer more food and are rare. Perhaps "King Crabs" - crabs that can only be caught in "Deep North" biomes?

3) The ability to construct "Hugelkultur Mounds" - this is essentially a mound of farmground used to grow multiple complementary crops. I am suggesting this to grow specific items such as thistle and berries. I have noticed that thistle and berries are not presently farmable, leading me to believe that the developers would rather they never be farmable, or perhaps be farmable through alternative means - well these are the alternative means I propose. This is based off of actual farm practices, and may potentially be used to grow mushrooms too.. however...

4) The ability to grow mushrooms using "Mushroom Logs". You know those mossy fallen logs that spawn in the world? those should also spawn mushrooms, and perhaps serve as opportunities to grow mushrooms, by spawning more mushrooms so long as some mushrooms are placed on the log. Perhaps players could also place their own mushroom logs and start their own mushroom farms?

5) The ability to grow mushrooms in "Mushroom Vaults" or "Mushroom Caves" using stone construction. Just the ability to farm more mushrooms faster in a smaller space compared to mushroom logs. Perhaps players add bones or ooze to promote growth?

To learn more about the cultivation of mushrooms throughout history, watch this video:

6) The ability to pull fishing nets using your boats. While I really enjoy the fishing mechanic, I think the trader should also sell a more expensive fishing net which can be attached to boats and automatically catch fish as you sail. The boat will need to stop and empty the net, or else risk tearing and losing the entire catch and net. Additionally using the net may have an increased chance of spawning sea serpents. The net only works in ocean biomes when attached and deployed off the ends of boats traveling with maximum wind.

7) A Bone Mealing Machine - an item made of iron or scrap iron which spreads fertilizer over cultivated ground by consuming bones - really we just need a use for all of those pesky bones. Crops treated with fertilizer will grow faster.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely love the fishing pot ideas! Advanced fishing methods that utilize the viking boat would be a great passive way while traveling to gather food.

A large basis of this game seems to be based around sailing (like true vikings) so this would be perfect!