Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Need help with multiple accounts on same machine please

Dansker

Local Viking
Reaction score
Having a bit of an issue with an alt account I made for my nephew to play with our family on my laptop.

When we launch Valheim on my laptop while logged into the alt steam account, its taking us into my main account with my character on it. We can create a new character for him, and when we hit start, my main accounts servers are in the server list as if they are his. He can join the server we are on, but it takes him to an instance of the server as it was when I logged on several hours ago and we can't see each other.

How do we get the second account to launch as its own account and join with the password like other friends accounts so we can play together?

Thanks!
Dansker

Solution
I did that and it worked, was able to get a clean start disabling steam cloud on both accounts before re-installing. Thanks for the suggestion!

I did try turning steam cloud back on later, and it gave me a message about files not matching, i told it to upload from this computer to the cloud and replace the files on the cloud and it did so for the character, but not for the servers, still put me on the same old version of the server. I found that I had turned off saving Valheim data to the Steam cloud on my main comp a few days back, thus explaining the old version of the file.

What I'm still struggling with is Steam thinking that both accounts are the same for data access and not treating the second account as a separate account. I...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a bit of an issue with an alt account I made for my nephew to play with our family on my laptop.

When we launch Valheim on my laptop while logged into the alt steam account, its taking us into my main account with my character on it. We can create a new character for him, and when we hit start, my main accounts servers are in the server list as if they are his. He can join the server we are on, but it takes him to an instance of the server as it was when I logged on several hours ago and we can't see each other.

How do we get the second account to launch as its own account and join with the password like other friends accounts so we can play together?

Thanks!
Dansker
Interesting issue indeed. Have you purchased two separate copies of Valheim on both your primary and alternative Steam accounts? My best guess is possibly you are using the steam family sharing option and that would cause the issues you are running into.

Also if you could provide more information about the server that you two are trying to join might help others diagnose the issue you are having. It's quite odd that your nephew is able to join a server but it's an older version of the world (possibly he is launching your save file as his own server?)

Dansker

Local Viking
Reaction score
Interesting issue indeed. Have you purchased two separate copies of Valheim on both your primary and alternative Steam accounts? My best guess is possibly you are using the steam family sharing option and that would cause the issues you are running into.

Also if you could provide more information about the server that you two are trying to join might help others diagnose the issue you are having. It's quite odd that your nephew is able to join a server but it's an older version of the world (possibly he is launching your save file as his own server?)
Yes, once I created the second account, I gifted that account a separate purchase of the game from my main account. I did it that way as I didn't want to add purchasing info to the account the kids would be playing on. So we have purchased two separate copies of Valheim now.

I wondered about the family sharing as well. I've disabled that feature now in steam and it continues to have the same issue. I also wondered about using the same email address for the second account as the first, so I've changed to a back-up email address I have as the primary email for the second account now, and still the same issue persists.

The server was just one I created for a group of friends and I to play on when we first purchased the game a couple weeks ago. It was created as a community server with a password required. Another friend was able to join it and play with me for a while until one of our group created a dedicated server for us so I didn't need to keep my game on all the time for us to access. Since then, I've just been using it as a place to play by myself away from the group from time to time. I'm not aware of anything special about the server.

I'm still launching the second account though onto the first account for this game for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the reply :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, once I created the second account, I gifted that account a separate purchase of the game from my main account. I did it that way as I didn't want to add purchasing info to the account the kids would be playing on. So we have purchased two separate copies of Valheim now.

I wondered about the family sharing as well. I've disabled that feature now in steam and it continues to have the same issue. I also wondered about using the same email address for the second account as the first, so I've changed to a back-up email address I have as the primary email for the second account now, and still the same issue persists.

The server was just one I created for a group of friends and I to play on when we first purchased the game a couple weeks ago. It was created as a community server with a password required. Another friend was able to join it and play with me for a while until one of our group created a dedicated server for us so I didn't need to keep my game on all the time for us to access. Since then, I've just been using it as a place to play by myself away from the group from time to time. I'm not aware of anything special about the server.

I'm still launching the second account though onto the first account for this game for some reason. I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the reply :)
You can try backing up the data in "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\"(this is where your local Valheim data is stored) into a new folder and doing a fresh install to see if that helps alleviate the problems.

I'd try to create a new character after backing the character data up and deleting it to see if that helps at all.

Also, are you attempting to play with your family member on the same network? Is your nephew trying to join your friends dedicated server or are you locally hosting the server for them to join? You might need to port forward if it is the latter.

Dansker

Local Viking
Reaction score
So you gave me an idea, that is now creating an issue. We don't mind losing everything on that laptop regarding Valheim, and would prefer to just start from scratch, so I uninstalled the game, and deleted the Irongate folder completely. Then reinstalled the game, and relaunched the game, just to find out all the data is right back there. That caused me to notice that the initial download of the game is 1gig, where as the reinstall is only 572megs. How do I get the entire game off my laptop so I can start fresh on it with no data about the game at all? Obviously there are other places its storing data and not deleting files when I uninstall. I need to get those files off my comp as well.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you gave me an idea, that is now creating an issue. We don't mind losing everything on that laptop regarding Valheim, and would prefer to just start from scratch, so I uninstalled the game, and deleted the Irongate folder completely. Then reinstalled the game, and relaunched the game, just to find out all the data is right back there. That caused me to notice that the initial download of the game is 1gig, where as the reinstall is only 572megs. How do I get the entire game off my laptop so I can start fresh on it with no data about the game at all? Obviously there are other places its storing data and not deleting files when I uninstall. I need to get those files off my comp as well.

After you've done an uninstall via Steam I'd check in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Valheim" and delete anything else left there.

I'd be sure to login to the new steam account only after attempting to re-download Valheim to see if that helps at all too.

Keep us updated and let us know if you find a solution!

Dansker

Local Viking
Reaction score
After you've done an uninstall via Steam I'd check in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Valheim" and delete anything else left there.

I'd be sure to login to the new steam account only after attempting to re-download Valheim to see if that helps at all too.

Keep us updated and let us know if you find a solution!
Yeah I tried that exact thing, the Valheim folder is gone after doing the uninstall, however, still a 572meg download after and everything is back.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried that exact thing, the Valheim folder is gone after doing the uninstall, however, still a 572meg download after and everything is back.
How about turning off steam cloud for Valheim? That may be causing issues as well. I'd try logging into both steam accounts on the laptop and make sure steam cloud is disabled on both and do a complete steam restart before attempting to reinstall with steam cloud disabled.

Really odd scenario you have going on.

Dansker

Local Viking
Reaction score
I did that and it worked, was able to get a clean start disabling steam cloud on both accounts before re-installing. Thanks for the suggestion!

I did try turning steam cloud back on later, and it gave me a message about files not matching, i told it to upload from this computer to the cloud and replace the files on the cloud and it did so for the character, but not for the servers, still put me on the same old version of the server. I found that I had turned off saving Valheim data to the Steam cloud on my main comp a few days back, thus explaining the old version of the file.

What I'm still struggling with is Steam thinking that both accounts are the same for data access and not treating the second account as a separate account. I emailed the files from my comp to myself and copied them into the laptop for the server and got the new account to log onto the current version of the server, but the characters can't see each other as it appears steam is trying to have both accounts use the server as the primary account and they can't see each other that way i guess?

Currently trying to turn off steam cloud on the laptop and have it turned on for the main comp to see if the game will recognize the two accounts as separate that way.

Solution

Dansker

Local Viking
Reaction score
Got the server started the right way on the main comp with the main account, and the second account was able to join it, so now I can see both characters in the same world.

That was a process, but we got there in the end, thanks for all the help with this @Nick

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the server started the right way on the main comp with the main account, and the second account was able to join it, so now I can see both characters in the same world.

That was a process, but we got there in the end, thanks for all the help with this @Nick
Not a problem at all! Super glad to hear we found a solution :) I'll go ahead and mark your last reply with an update as the answer so that any other players that run into the same issue know how to fix it!

Bloodhex

Local Viking
Reaction score
For syncing Valheim Data i am using Megasync.

Pros:
- Multiple file revisions (saving each file multiple times to go back for unwanted changes/Bugs and or corrupted Worlds/Player Data)
- Independent from Steam
- Securing multiple games and above mentioned advantages
- Faster than Steam Cloud

cons:
- "only" 50GB Data available with old Account (Now only 15GB with free Account)
- Occasional strange behavior and blocking of write operations (saving of World/Player data)

But in the End works better then with Steam Cloud. Iam using both for security / bug reasons.