Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Spear and Atgeir Skills should be combined

Pupnsuds

New Viking
Reaction score
Sledges are the 2 handed version of Maces, and they share the same skill tree.

Spears and Polearms are separated to two separate skills. I recommend having spears and polearms be the same skill, so if you use a spear early on, you can switch to atgeir and have value in the skill you invested into spears.

Many analysis of the weapons continue to show that for each age, the Mace or Sword are the highest DPS weapons. The Atgeir is a close second, but requires 2 hands. The spear is usually the worst in all weapon categories. Also blunt damage from the mace counters most things in the swamp.

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
Definitely. Spears need some love, just in general.

I was hoping they'd be the best answer for fighting the Growths in the plains - one handed ranged attack, with a shield to protect against their ranged attacks - but they aren't.

The atgeir has a long forward attack that is a great match for attacking the many creatures that charge straight in at you. The spears attack cone is narrow, short, and quick - it doesn't hit much, doesn't do much damage when it does, and isn't a practical weapon for fighting any creature in the game. Thrown spears are basically never better than a bow, even at close range.

From what I can tell, spears aren't even situationally appropriate, they're just bad. Combining the Spear and Polearm skills is an excellent place to start improving them.