Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Beehive Happiness Requirements

Quasitonality

Local Viking
Reaction score
Please tell us what the rules are for beehive placement? We haven't been able to figure out through experimentation exactly what works and what doesn't with any consistency. It makes the base design process difficult and confusing whenever we are working with beehives :( We love our bees and we want them to be happy

EDIT: To clarify, I know there must be some sort of deterministic rules for bee happiness, otherwise we wouldn't have working farm designs like the ones @Cloud Prime mentioned below. Like, we know they work, but as far I can tell nobody's yet been able to figure out why they work, and that's what I'd like to know.

I can definitely find places where the bees are happy, but what I'm really looking for are general placement guidelines that would allow us to incorporate bees into a base design so that it fits in aesthetically and looks natural - e.g. I wanted to work my beehives into my front porch here in a way that was both functional and aesthetic. I tried building shelves, setting up poles, etc. but I never found a solution that worked for both beehives (if I built a shelf off a pillar that worked for one beehive, a similar shelf on the opposite pillar wouldn't work for the other beehive). This is the only buildable part I've encountered in this game that behaves like this, where the behavior is unpredictable unless you're strictly following a blueprint that has been shown to work, and the blueprints that work have no real explanation for why this blueprint works while others don't. I eventually just gave up and plunked them down in the first place they found acceptable, without any regard for style or symmetry, but this isn't really very satisfying for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

20211011190032_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine are happy and i didn’t pay too much attentiton to where I built it. i think is enough to build the beehive in an open space (and maybe no fire next to it?)

Cloud Prime

New Viking
Reaction score
What I do as a general guide is to place one of the 2x2 floor pieces down, and use half walls on each of the 4 sides. If you place the hive right it works that way. If you get it good enough you can even place additional beams between the hives (so on each of the walls) for more pleasing looks. Dont use a roof, if you do use one at least build it high, and then at that point all you have to do is test and figure out what height the wood has to be so the bees are happy, as they should be. If you have not tested those, then I do not necessarily believe you have tried everything and so has the community as you so put it.

My example below is quite simple, but people have done honeycomb shapes, and many others. If you dont think it works, check out what ohter people are saying.

20211005150040_1.jpg