Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Copper vs. Tin Balancing

Starblazer

New Viking
Reaction score
I just started playing Valheim and now I'm pretty far into the "Bronze Age" but it feels like the copper nodes don't give enough ore compared to the tin. With tin, you get 3-4 ore per node so after around 3 minutes of mining different nodes, you get around 13 ore and you go to your hut to drop it off. With copper, it takes 10-15 mins to get the same amount because it takes around 7 hits to break a piece off the node but you only get 1 piece of ore from it. The nodes also feel a bit broken, especially since 1 chunk that I would break gives me 4 ore and the next gives me nothing. I feel like if the nodes were a bit more consistent, mining copper wouldn't feel as much of a grind as it does right now. Tin mining is perfect btw.

Napalm Eddie

Local Viking
Reaction score
Copper goes pretty deep below the surface of your deposit, so make sure to mine down far enough to get it all! I try to dig out around the outside of each node first, then work my way in so I don't miss anything.

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
TBH, the copper should break in one hit per section of the node, like iron nodes in the swamp crypts do.

Also, only getting 2 bronze out of 1 tin and 2 copper is an unnecessary penalization.
We should be getting 3 bronze ingots out for the 3 ingots (1 tin 2 copper) we put in.

Caswallon

Local Viking
Reaction score
We should be getting 3 bronze ingots out for the 3 ingots (1 tin 2 copper) we put in.
100%! This is currently the one place I can think of where Valheims otherwise excellent physics defies the law of conservation of mass....
(Literally 2/3ds of the material spontanioulsuy vanishes! - even notice how your Encumberance drops drastically after makign some Bronze?)

As for the copper mining its a bit on the mean side factorign the effort and the inevitability that the noise of your mining will attracted Mobs. As in my experiance you dont always get even one copper ore when breaking off a portion of the node thats just plain wrong! At a minimum it should always be 1 copper ore + some stone with a chance of 2-3 Copper in place of stone per section mined out.

Ive only played much on one world seed at this time but Coppe ris all over th eplace int he Black forests! But you get sovery little for your ordeals beign assaulted every few mins by G-D's and occasionaly Trolls (or even wolves/drakes ic lose to a mountain!)>

My impression is you make the copper deposites even larger BUT reduce their spawn count a bit. Another way to pice it up would be to very occasionally have it drop a pure bit of the metal that doesnt need refining, just as spice never often enough to make the smelter coke oven combo irrelavant but it would make for a nice "Suprise" now and again to break up the monotony...

FrijDom

New Viking
Reaction score
I personally don't mind the 'disappearance' of 2/3rds of the material, though I think it might be good to rebalance it to 2 bronze for 2 copper and 1 tin. I always assumed it was the discarding of unsuitable or failed material. However, there's one other instance where Valheim doesn't seem to follow the law of conservation of mass: Smelting. You put in 1 ore weighing 10 pounds, and get out 1 ingot weighing... 12 pounds. How does 10 lbs of ore - ? lbs of impurities = 12 lbs of metal? I get the balance of it, being that it's better to haul the ore to your house rather than smelting it next to where you mine it, but it simply doesn't make sense. Ores and metal in general need a rebalance.