Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Inventory QoL suggestions

cosmicat

New Viking
Reaction score
Since encumbrance presents a challenge of its own and will naturally limit what a character can carry, I don't think limiting inventory space to 24 + 8 from the hotbar is a good complement to this mechanic. This isn't an issue at the beginning of the game, but later in the game carrying backup food, mead, and situational tools/weapons becomes more important for survival and exploration, and the limited slots feels like more of an inconvenience.

I would be so grateful if the inventory panel's slots were expanded, or keeping the current panel but with the following items getting their own dedicated sections:
- armor and trinket (head, chest, legs, cape, and a trinket slot)
- ammunition (1 slot)
- edible food (3 slots)
- mead (1 to 3 slots)
- gold and gems (optional)

(This also opens up the possibility of having to craft or upgrade these inventory sections as well; create a food bag, arrow/bolt quiver, potion belt, etc. It wouldn't bother me if they did not have any cosmetic effect -- I'm fine with using my imagination.)

I personally think inventory management or inconveniences should not become more pronounced when the player makes progress and when exploring late-game biomes. Encumbrance is already a decent-enough mechanic for encouraging using ships, mounts, and special items. I'm fine with an inventory slot limit in general, but it would feel better if the panel was reserved for resources, and the more commonly-carried items didn't take up space.

Last edited: