Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

More skills

RedSamurai

Local Viking
Reaction score
At the moment, the game has peaceful skills of chopping trees and working with a pickaxe. You can also add the construction skill to them: with each new level, less stamina is spent on construction, and more resources are returned when destroyed; blacksmith skill: with each level, when creating weapons and armor, a little is added to their characteristics.

Caswallon

Local Viking
Reaction score
and more resources are returned when destroyed;
But are not all the respources returned already? How can destroying and rebuilding get more than base? Perhaps I misunderstand your meaning then?

Now if you mean add in a sliding scale of returns based on skill I can see that point though I dont agree with it. A positive thing for me is the 100% return of materials. It makes up for the fact you cant "store" finished chairs for example.

I like the thrust of your idea though. But instead of adjusting the res cost might I sugegst that occasionally a high skill woul dallow you to creat an item or make a build peice that works better than normal? For example: we get comfort levels from adding decorative item yes? What if a high skill (Master craftsman) made Rug adds 2 to comfort instead?
If at a later point a trade/economy system came in a players ability to make such exceptional items would give them a product as a reward for thier efforts in learnign that skill to a high degree?
Oh have skill levels unlock beter decorated types of a base item maybe? A wood wall that has carvings in it. Same stats and utility by aethetically nicer. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
Caswallon, that'd require either new items, or new attributes added to the current ones to support the variable comfort ratings or weapon/armor buffs. Probably the easiest way to implement that would be a Fine Chair or Reinforced Armor that requires a skill threshold to create - those wouldn't need to alter how items work, just add a new set.

However, I don't see a ton of benefit here if they're already adding a lot of build items in the next expansion - construction stamina makes sense for the higher skill, but wouldn't really affect gameplay meaningfully at all. There isn't a ton of space between armor upgrades, so those would be most often useful if you wanted to keep, say, a quality Iron Armor set for the appearance that had stats closer to wolf armor.

All would be welcome additions, but with such a small staff I wouldn't make it a priority over other stuff.

Caswallon

Local Viking
Reaction score
All would be welcome additions, but with such a small staff I wouldn't make it a priority over other stuff.
Oh I agree: Just shooting ideas out here for comment & Critique.

But as for adding extra things I am not worried about that , I am sure that will happen in time in any case as they expand. But if we sow some ideas now maybe some will find some favor. A Game forum is a great way to experiment and provide feedback that has had several minds propose then analyse additions. In so doing it may be we can theory test ideas for the DEVs to consider.

The games foundation as I perceive it is not terribly co operative as of yet. Allowing players some specialty will in turn encourage co operation/trade and possible if desired a PvP reason as folks may get raided for their unique items in servers that allow such?