Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

My Ideas for Valheim: Putting Fulings to Work

sstella

Local Viking
Reaction score
I think a good way to help transition to the "end game" is by introducing methods and aids to resource gathering - one of these should perhaps be Fuling laborers. I know that defeating the Fuling King boss causes Fulings to spawn everyone during night-time. I would like to suggest the possibility of players constructing unique objects and buildings which cause Fulings to be passive or even helpful. Perhaps the boss drops the "Fuling Crown" allowing players to wear the crown and commands Fuling-Pet-Mobs as their King. Still, regular Fulings should be hostile, and not all Fulings should be automatically passive or friendly. Perhaps a "Fuling Temple" or "Fuling Outpost" can be constructed, and Fuling Totems can be placed inside. Each placed Fuling totem allows players to have more friendly or helpful Fulings. Of course this also complicates the game as it requires more AI behaviors, and complicated algorithms to Fulings to locate, extract, and deliver resources. A much simpler approach would be to allow placing "Fuling Chests" - these are objects which are meant to be placed outside of a player's base in an outpost constructed for Fulings. No "Friendly" Fulings ever need to be spawned or exist, rather, after every night, the Fuling Chests can spawn random materials, presumably placed in there by Fulings. The items/materials contributed may be randomized, but the bottom line is that my proposal is to create a new passive form of resource gathering available only after progressing significantly. Let's review the different potential applications of this idea:

1. Fulings as friendly mobs - In this way Fulings are similar to trained wolves, as they follow player and obey simple commands. This would be rather complicated, and perhaps involve players giving Fulings tools and bringing them to resource locations to direct their efforts. This may be very fun gameplay where players lead their own Fuling hordes around, but this could also be a coding nightmare for developers who probably never planned on adding laborious AI

2. Fuling Boxes that generate resources - A good comparison in another game would be the "Scav Box" from Escape from Tarkov - this is a loot container in the player's base which spawns random loot in response to the initial items placed inside - for example in Tarkov, players can place Moonshine or other treats in the Scav Box, which increases the probability of rarer loot appearing. In this method a physical friendly Fuling Mob is never spawned, rather a container placed in the world by players randomly generates loot, so long as players aren't nearby - being too close to the chest may prevent it from spawning anything.