Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Teleport Ores

SealsRGnarly

New Viking
Reaction score
I feel like we should teleport ores, it doesn't make sense to have items we can't teleport back and forth. I get that you want us to make new forges and stuff but this feels like a lazy way to do it. Or make a portal that can teleport ores? Idk it just doesn't feel right to keep creating new forges and then abandon them.

After reading a lot of your comments. I kinda see everyone's point I appreciate the kindness and honesty behind everyone's comments.

Last edited:

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
Mythologically, it might make sense.
I don't know enough about viking mythos to explain it well, but (IIRC) they considered metals to be material left behind by gods, so having metal be immune to magic like the portals makes sense.
(Though for purely balance reasons, I understand why metal tools/armor/etc. aren't counted among that category.)

Taurus Daggerknight

Local Viking
Reaction score
The limitation as it stands feels like a good reason to build outposts and logistics plans like roads and all though? I kind of like that to be honest, so I'm personally not sure if portals really need to let you skip over that entire section of gameplay. Just my two cents there.

TheKhopesh

Local Viking
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind being able to transport metals through teleporters if we've beaten the boss above that metal's tier.

IE, beat the Elder, now you can teleport copper.
Beat Bonemass, now you can teleport bronze and tin. (Because if you could teleport tin and copper, you'd be able to just make bronze on the other side.)
Beat Moder, now you can teleport iron.
Beat Yagluth, now you can teleport silver.
Black Metal would never be able to go through teleporters.

That way you can teleport copper for a forge after the Elder, and by endgame you could avoid the slog of hauling the same metals over and over and over again.

----

All that said, it'd be nice IMO, but it's definitely not necessary.
(It's just a preference thing.)

SealsRGnarly

New Viking
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind being able to transport metals through teleporters if we've beaten the boss above that metal's tier.

IE, beat the Elder, now you can teleport copper.
Beat Bonemass, now you can teleport bronze and tin. (Because if you could teleport tin and copper, you'd be able to just make bronze on the other side.)
Beat Moder, now you can teleport iron.
Beat Yagluth, now you can teleport silver.
Black Metal would never be able to go through teleporters.

That way you can teleport copper for a forge after the Elder, and by endgame you could avoid the slog of hauling the same metals over and over and over again.

----

All that said, it'd be nice IMO, but it's definitely not necessary.
(It's just a preference thing.)
That's a clever way to teleport ores. I also think maybe like endgame going to the world tree maybe grabbing something to make a new teleporter that can teleport the previous un-teleportable items would be cool.

Napalm Eddie

Local Viking
Reaction score
I'm fine with the way it works. It does cause you to have to consider your outposts in a different way. So far I've only needed one forge; just the one at my home base. I haul all my metals back home and work there. When I'm out I just hope through the portal to repair, then back through to the world. I does cause me to build a lot of ships, docks, and encampments all over which I like.

Jerxes

Local Viking
Reaction score
I disagree - teleporting Ore would almost completely remove the need to create more than your initial base - you'd never need to set up another actual camp anywhere else, just a portal station at any resource, not needing more than a building or fence to keep it alive. There's so much exploration to be done in this game, and having to go get metal in person is a major driver of that.

I think that inconvenience of having to move them by hand makes the game better and more satisfying, even if I don't always want to actually do it. I think the game would be worse if they let ore/metal go thru portals, and I'd be disappointed if they implemented that.

But I understand the request, and there is a workaround. If you don't care about the continuity of playing through the game, and just want to go nuts building stuff without worrying about resources, you can use the console commands to create it from thin air, or sleaze-port ore back and forth between servers as a workaround for the portals. Not my style, but you do you.

Eric Cakste

Local Viking
Reaction score
i think it would be cool if you could change this setting in the batch file or with dev commands