Welcome, Viking!

Join our new and growing community of Vikings that are exploring Valheim, together.

Reasons to chill within the game

Philoric

Local Viking
Reaction score
Before suggesting anything about Valheim I want to say I think it is a very enjoyable game as it is, at it's not even at version 1.0 yet. I propose a toast to Iron Gate for their achievement thus far! 🍻 The best thing the community can do to support the developers is probably to just let them realise their own vision for this game. That being said...

I wish there was something else to do except fighting stuff ⚔️, building stuff 🔨, growing stuff 🥕 and taking in the scenery.

Let me elaborate a bit. I wish there was an excuse to actually hang out houses once you've built them. The game tends to revolve around building ever more extravagant structures and hoarding more material possessions. But what is there to actually do indoors? The most interesting remedy would probably be to introduce friendly NPCs to interact with (which has been discussed in this post) but it would be a huge undertaking and it won't happen anytime soon, if at all.

Here's just an idea : add one or several simple games within the game 🎲🀄🏓

Suppose you would occasionally find chess pieces in dungeons and caves. Once you have enough pieces you can set up a chess board indoors. Adding the UI for it wouldn't be too hard. It would basically just be a really large container with 8x8 slots and it would only be able to hold chess pieces. Then you can invite another player into your house and challenge them to a game of chess - or some other game that is more appropriate for the setting.

Last edited:

Philoric

Local Viking
Reaction score
Ok, so I was thinking - why wait? I have set up an 8x8 game board in a cosy corner of my tavern, The Humming Bee. There's also a box to keep game pieces. Right now I'm using two kinds of berries.

Perhaps this is an excuse for learning to play checkers, but so far I've just tested it out with a game of gomoku - or as I like to call it "Queen's Jam".
Valheim - Drottningsylt.png

Valheim - Drottningsylt 2.png

This is just a prorotype, mind you! I have already noticed some problems. For one, game pieces have a tendency to end up in your stomach. Not recommended for vikings under the age of 3.

Derogar

New Viking
Reaction score
Good suggestions. I would love to be able to craft a tourney-table, where my friends and I could join around to pick a game/quest. It could be for example a game of "who brings the trophy back first", or an item spawn with map mark, one for each contender. You can set the distance from table yourself, and thereby rush out to bring it back to the table before your friends. If you die along the way, you lose. Rewards could be vanity items to pride the walls in your "game room". This could also be done in solo, but the idea of competing with friends is a bit compelling. Of course: No portals allowed!

michor

New Viking
Reaction score
Maybe this deserves its own post, but it goes along with what you suggested: I've been thinking that the game is missing musical instruments. I'm not sure what the vikings had, but they must have had something. You sit around the fire with your friends, and someone is going to play a little tune. Maybe drums, a pipe/flute, or whatever. The game has some relaxation furniture. It needs a way to create a little musical ambiance.

As far as how the instruments would work, I'm not sure. Ideally you could actually play them manually, but I think that might be too big of a jump with the game's mechanics. It would be great if there was one or more tunes built in to each instrument, and playing them would just play the available choices. Perhaps new songs could be found or purchased.

Philoric

Local Viking
Reaction score
We are making do with what we have !
For our servers grand day 1000 celebration we prepared a feast in the city hall and set up a board for Hnefatafl. This was a suggestion by @Ratmourn and it was an excellent one!

20220106195126_1.jpgds

Defrayer

Local Viking
Reaction score
I love your execution for the board game, never thought of that! Chess might be too complex for the setting, but maybe some simpler officially supported board games would fit in nicely. Bonus points would be granted for lore-friendliness and historical accuracy.